Sunday, September 13, 2015

20 Seconds of Insane Courage

First things first, do you recognize the title of this blog?

Well even if you do recognize it, I will explain where it comes from briefly. The title of this blog is a concept developed and shown flawlessly within one of my favorite movies, "We Bought a Zoo" by Cameron Crowe. Within the movie, Benjamin Mee, played by Matt Damon, lived his life around the idea "sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it." From the first time I had watched this movie, I was in love with this concept and more so the quote. The only thing issue was I had never actually put it to use, that is until the other week. To truly understand the quote, watch the video below that is directly from the movie and keep it in your mind as you read on. 



One night, I took the leap of faith, mustered up 20 seconds of insane courage, and did something that is fitting of such insane courage. I attempted to see if a spark still existed between a previous love and me, and the result of such was one I never could have expected. I was hoping one kiss would prove to both of us there still was something between us. Sorry readers, but no I did not get slapped nor pushed away. In the same light, no I did not rekindle the love we once shared in those 20 seconds either.

The result of my 20 seconds of courage was one I never could have prepared for but something great did come of it. I know I felt that something was still between us, and from the response I got in return, I knew she felt it as well. I left that night telling her I will give her time to think about whatever she needed to think about because being pressured never helps any situation. Sure enough, multiple days pass and still no trace of a traditional response. More days pass, I start thinking about that quote and when I was supposed to have the something great come out of my 20 seconds. After more days passed it finally hit me, that something great I was missing does not necessarily mean her doing the realizing; rather I realized something I never wanted to see. I am not going to go into detail about what that something is because it is not fair to her, but take my word that it is something 
bittersweet and yet great.

I have never been someone with "insane courage" or "embarrassing bravery" but this is why I believe this quote means that much more to me. Life is too short not to act because of our fears, and it took me 20 years to finally come to terms with it.  If you have yet to watch this movie, please do so because it has changed my life for the better and I honestly think it might just change yours as well.

Until next time,
Matt

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    I really like the idea of 20 seconds of insane courage. I feel that it is very important to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. In today's society, people are always worried about what other people think. However, we should be focused on ourselves and what pleases us. We are too worried about being judged by others in many circumstances. With a little confidence and courage, we can face our fears in the numerous encounters that face us. Like you said, life is too short for you to wonder and contemplate situations. Sometimes the best thing to do in life is take a breath and use that courage to act in real-time.

    ReplyDelete