Sunday, October 18, 2015

MSU v. MICH Spectacular

This past weekend was the weekend all of Michigan has been waiting for. It was the college football meetings of the two in-state Big Ten schools, Michigan State University (MSU) and University of Michigan (MICH), who were facing off for the Paul Bunyan Trophy. Being that I am from Michigan, I can personally tell you this game ranks above all others. 

The game was so intense that it easily is considered the best game of the weekend, and arguably the best game seen all year. Now I am not going to bore you with the exact details of the full game, rather only the last ten seconds of the game. 

Let me set the scene first though. The two rivals battled what seemed to be though hell and back all game. There is ten seconds left in the game, Michigan is winning 23-21. It is fourth down and Michigan decides to punt the ball away from about the 38-yard line in hope to run the remaining time out. This game was considered to be over, that is until the unthinkable happen. Watch the video below to find out what happen, 



Within those ten sounds, Michigan's worse nightmare became true. MSU returned the ball for a touchdown while also running out the clock. Final score becoming MSU winning the ball game 27-23. 

What were the results of this play you may ask? The punter, lord knows is kicking himself in the butt, has received multiple death threats from various fans. The player who returned the ball is in the hospital from a broken hip. It is unknown if the cause is from being tackled from scoring or from the massive celebration that followed. A Michigan inspired meme has arose from the aired actions of a fan. 

I cannot tell if this game is overall a win or a loss for either teams PR departments. On the MSU positive side, it won the rivalry game and brought back the trophy for another year. On its bad side, it hurt and potentially ended a player’s football career. When we look at the University of Michigan, there are more negatives than anything. The team lost the game in its home stadium, rioted in the streets, has a disrespectful meme circulating the social media channels, and has death threats towards the punter. 

Overall, the game was amazing to watch. I along with every MSU fan out there was jumping and screaming for joy when MSU won. It is just hard to think of the damage control these teams have to implement because of this spectacular game. 

Until Next Time,
Matt

1 comment:

  1. UNBELIEVABLE. I couldn't believe watching this live. I know you're rooting for Sparty in this one, but can you believe that after how well Michigan, and their punter more specifically, played that whole game, and then the last 10 seconds, just.. I have no clue. My brother and I were watching the game together on Saturday and he is a die hard Michigan fan. He is 44 years old too, so when I say die hard, I mean he's a seasoned veteran. He turned around to get me my crutches, and turned back around and Michigan State had the ball running the other way and he was like "WAIT, WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON!" As I tried not to have too much fun at his misfortune, I was in the same shock and almost disgust at how lucky MSU got in that game. Harbaugh really could've used that win as a recruiting tool but none-the-less, Sparty lives to see another day and compete for a FBS playoff spot.

    ReplyDelete