Monday, December 7, 2015

The Mets Make the Switch

Although I am not a New York Mets fan, I am a fan of Coca-Cola (Coke). So when I heard Citi Field, the Mets home stadium, is switching from selling Pepsi-Cola products to Coke products, I got a little bit excited. The contract between Pepsi Co. and the Mets expires Dec. 31 and the top executives of both Coke and the Mets have already signed a contract to begin as of 2016. 


Now why would the Mets switch this contract after such a long relationship with Pepsi? Well that is an easy answer, money. 

First, Coke steals an extremely large contract from its leading competitor. On top of having this contract, the Mets are projected to have stellar year due to winning its first pennant since 2000 in the last season. Expectation goes up, attendance goes up, sales go way up, and the profits make those executives smile. 

Second, the Mets get to have a slight face-lift done to its stadium. It has a portion of the stadium named "Pepsi Porch" which is a landing area where anticipated home run balls are hit. It gets to not only rename the area, but also maybe even change its layout. Personally, I do not know how or even if this change will be made, but regardless I expect marketing ploys that relate to such. 

Until Next Time,
Matt

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    I'm not really a baseball fan at all but I thought your post was interesting. I think it's funny that Pepsi and Coke have such a huge rivalry and that they continually steal customers from one another. Like you, I am also a huge coke fan. I try to stop, but it's such an addiction. I know pop isn't really that good for you but I love it so much. I may have to attend a Mets game just because of this little change! I'm sure they will make a killing this year.

    ReplyDelete